BURLINGTON BAPTIST CHURCH
Burlington Baptist Church is located in a middle-class river community. This work started as a mission of First Baptist Church of Ashland, Kentucky, August 1956, with five members under the leadership of Rev. L. W. Benedict. The first meeting took place in the vacated Swan Night Club, which is now the Pulley Nursing Home. A short time later the mission moved into a vacated store building. The mext move was a house located in the "S" curb on old State Route 52 which was later used as a parsonage.
Burlington Baptist Church constituted on October 4, 1959 with 30 members. A sanctuary was built in 1960 with financing from Broadway Bonds, underwriten by The State Convention of Baptists in Ohio. Dedication was held on August 21, 1960.
Later in 1960, Burlington Baptist Church affiliated with Scioto Valley Baptist Association. The church affiliated with The Greater Huntington Baptist Assocation in West Virignia during 1961. It was during 1967, that the Church re-affiilated with The Scioto Valley Baptist Association.
On the north side of the sanctuary, facilities were constructed consisting of six classrooms, a large fellowship hall, kitchen and pastor's study in 1973. In 1974, the lot east of the parsonage was purchased from Ashland Oil and 1978 the lot adjoining the rear of the church was purchased. The church now owned four acres of land. In 1981, the mortgage on the buildng was paid off. Construction of a garage for the parsonage and two classrooms was also completed during 1981.
Ground breaking for a new sanctuary took place on March 28, 1982. The men of the church were responsible for getting the foundation ready. Carpenters for Christ from Anniston, Alabama arrived in Burlington on June 6, 1982 to help construct a new sanctuary seating 300. Working all summer with these and other groups were the faithful men and women of the church. On June 20, a group of men arrived from Dalton, Georgia to hang sheet rock. This church donated the carpet. One of the members of this group donated a steeple. A group from Monroeville, Alabama arrived on July 18 to continue the work on the building. On August 9, the Benton family from Arizona, Mission Service Corps, stayed a week to help with the construction. The first services were held on November 14, 1982 in the new Sanctuary. There wre 143 people in Sunday School with four being baptized. Dedication services were held on November 26-28, 1982.
In May 1995, the mortgage was paid off. The old sanctuary was remodeled into classrooms with dedication in October 1995.
Burlington Baptist Church has sponsored several missions within Lawrence County, Ironton Baptist Chapel became Sharon Baptist Church, Ironton on November 13, 1971. God's Firehouse Fellowship in Proctoville was begun in 2002. Sadly this work closed in 2003. Chesapeake Southern Baptist Chapel in Chesapeake began on April 1, 1996. This Chapel constituted in the summer of 2004. A ministery to a group of Mexican immigrants was undertaken with English as a second language in 2001. This ministry moved to a worship service. After a year and a half, the group of immigrants migrated to another part of the country.
Providing not only a ministry to children, a Playground and Picnic Shelter was erected in 2007. With the need for a special place for the Youth, a Youth building was constructed in September 2008. The need for a garage to house the church vans were built in 2009.
God has been blessing Burlington Baptist with outstanding Vacation Bible Schools such as in 2014 when five youth committed their lives to Christ. Wednesday night programs for children and youth have been expanded over the years. During the Sunday morning worship, several services are offered for children and youth. Annual Homecoming Services, held in October, are aways a highlight of the church year.
Burlington Baptist Church has great opportunities for minstry within the community. They are ready to answer the needs.