SOUTHERN BAPTIST CHURCH
The Chapel met at 407 1/2 Third Avenue until January 2004. With growth, the work began searching for a larger location. They also rented the Lawrence County East Municipal Courthouse as well as an old tatoo parlor. These buildngs allowed the necessary space for worhship, classrooms and growth.
July 2004, the Chapel petitioned Burlington Baptist Church, the mother church, to constitute. Constitution services were held on September 12, 2004.
Again seeing the need for a larger facility, the church began another property search. In 2010, the present facilities were purchased on Township Road 1010. Easter Weekend (April 1,2010) the first services were held in the new facilities. Building dedication was held on April 11. With growth, the congregation call a youth director in 2014 and licensed him into the ministry. Sadly, he was unable to stay at the church.
The church has a wonderful appreciaton for special help from sister churches within Scioto Valley Baptist Association, In their present buildng, the roof was leaking. A group from Ebenezer Baptist Church fixed the problem. Unable to purchase Sunday School materials, First Southern Baptist Church, Pomeroy come along side and help met this need.
Some special minstries have been ongoing, such as youth groups, children's choir, Vacation Bible School, hayrides, homecomings and revivals.
Over the years, this congregation has seen several saved and follow Christ in baptism. In recent years, they have been recognized for the highest number per ratio for baptisms within the association. Chesapeake Southern Baptist Church continues to reach out in the community for the cause of Christ.