FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH
The Waverly Baptist Mission grew by leaps and bounds. It was not long before the mission saw the need for thier own building. On Saturday, February 29, 1954, the Waverly Baptist Mission organized a one-day church raising. Beginning at 7:30am a crew of 45 men started to work on the vacant lot in Green Acres. At 4:00pm they held a Thanksgiving service in a completed church building.
First Baptist Church Waverly constituted on April 29, 1954 with 86 members.
In May 1954, an educational wing was added to the existing structure. It became apparent that the church needed more space. A study was one on the feasibility of building on the current Green Acres property or to relocate. In 1955, the current Third Avenue site was recommended to purchase. Groundbreaking services were held in February 1955. With assistance from the Home Misson Board, a loan was acquired for $15,000 and the work preceeded. With the exception of pouring floors and the plastering the ceiling, the entire job was executed by the men of the church.
The next phase of building came on April 16, 1979 when the construction of a new sanctuary with seating capacity of 340 was begun. This building consisted of a full basement to be used as educational space and a fellowship hall. The total cost of construction for this buildng was $227,000. The old sanctuary was partitioned off and utilized as classrooms. On October 14, 1979, the new facilities were used for the first time.
A new parsonage was purchased in 1991 and remodeled in 1992. The old parsonage was torn down and used as parking facilities.
More property was purchased to make room for the New Life Center. On July 16, 1998, a groundbreaking ceremony was held. The cost of this project was $600,000. A dedication service was held in May 1999. This center has been named the "Lloyd Francis Life Center" after a dedicated member of the church. The church utilizes this center for many events. The 2003 annual meeting of the State Convention of Baptists in Ohio in the center making it the first time ever that the convention has met in Scioto Valley Baptist Association. The church was able to retire the debt on this center in 2006.
In 2005, First Baptist Church began the planning stage for a new work in Beaver, Ohio. This mssion began in 2006 and constitiuted as First Baptist Church, Beaver in 2008.
In 2016, First Baptist Church Waverly assumed the sponsorship of The Crossing Baptist Church in Proctorville, Ohio.
A bus ministry has brought many new families into the church. Awana ministry mets on Wednesday evenings for the children. The church has had a large youth group throughout the years. The congregation has been involved in Shoe Box Ministry, World Changers, Loving Heart Ministry and We Care Ministy.