GRACE BAPTIST CHURCH
The first service was held on November 3, 1957 in an old residence on Main Street in McArthur. Nine people were in attendance. Rev. John Snedden conducted this service. However, this initial effort only lasted for a few months. Start up was again attempted in June 1958. This time, they met in the old skating rink on South Street in McArthur. In the early days, Grace Baptist Church stated and stopped several times, meeting in a variety of different places, of which included the Swan Township Hall on State Route 93 North of McArthur and the Episcopal building at 202 North Sugar Street.
On July 4, 1971, Grace Baptist moved into a residence at 509 South Market Street. During that year, a larger residence was purchased at 201 East High Street with grounds that allowed for expansion. It is this site that became the permanent location. The church moved into the new facilities on May 7, 1972. Sunday School attendance as over 100. Two buses were used to bring people to the services. Constitution Services was held on July 2, 1972 with 66 members.
On June 9, 1984, 128 men, ranging in age from 11 to 73, with Carpenters for Christ, began the construction of a new building. This group of men slept in the old High School. Completion of the building was in six days.
In 1995, another need for construction was met with the building of the educational wing. The local head strat program also utitlized this facility.
Always having a bi-vocational pastor, the congregation was financially able to change Pastor Roger Hauck's status from bi-vocational to full time in 2000.
The call for new works was answered in 1997, when Grace Baptist Church assumed the sponsorship of the Glouster Southern Baptist Mission, Glouster Ohio. This mission constituted in 2000. Summer of 2003, Grace Baptist Church acted upon a vision and burden for a Southern Baptist work in Wellston, Ohio. The church assumed sponsorship of Grace Baptist Fellowship in June 2003. This fellowship constituted in 2009.
In 2003, the youth went on a mission trip to First Baptist Church of Chesnee, South Carolina. Eighteen teenagers and five adults were participants in this mission endeavor. In 2008, the church participated in a mission trip to North Carolina.
Grace Baptist Church began a food ministry in 2001. "Wheels of Grace Soup Kitchen". A community free meal offered on the 4th Thursday night of the month.
In recent years the church began new ministries such as AWANA, GROW, Junior Church and an active benevolence outreach. Vacation Bible School is always a highlight for the congregation.